When I envisioned the interior design for our trailer, I wanted something airy, earthy, and comfortable for the living room area. I spent a lot of time looking at small sofas on every furniture website I could think of, and I was not sold on what I found. I wanted to stay at 60″ length max, so there could be a little bit of space between the dining area and the sofa to pull chairs out, and just be less crammed in. I couldn’t find anything that size that wasn’t: 1. Overpriced for the quality 2. Not fully my style 3. Not comfortable enough for the whole family to curl up on, arms too bulky and took up too much space. I decided to make our own from scratch and I am incredibly glad that I did! It is exactly what I wanted in this space, and I spent about $200 on it total.
This post is less of a how-to post and more of an overview of how I made our couch for our trailer. I am in no way an expert on upholstery and this was my first foray into furniture making. It was nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be, and if you can sew a kind of straight line, you can make these cushions! I promise!
I started off with four outdoor cushions from IKEA, since we have those on our outdoor furniture and find them comfortable. I did almost buy this foam piece with plenty of good reviews, but was hesitant to purchase it without sitting on it first. The cushions are 24″x24″, so I used two and a half cushions for the bottom, and one and a half for the back. I trimmed them all down to size with a serrated bread knife. I then sprayed the cushions with this heavy duty spray adhesive and wrapped them in batting from the fabric store. I did the same for each of the back cushions individually.
Our local fabric store had a huge anniversary sale, so I took some curtains I planned to use with me to pick out a nice green fabric. I found some for 50% off and started researching how in the world to sew box corners! This tutorial helped me a lot, but I did mess up multiple times on the first cushion, and didn’t make the covers tight enough the first time, so I had to go back with a seam ripper, take them apart, and start over a couple times! It was frustrating, but a learning experience. I did a simple envelope style for the covers so I can remove them and wash them from time to time.
For the frame of the sofa, I wanted something wooden, and not bulky at all. I thought about making this a storage sofa, but ultimately decided that the more storage we had, the more junk we could accumulate so I opted out of that. We are replacing our kids’ beds when the house is built, so we donated one of their IKEA bedframes and repurposed one by cutting the two length pieces to 60″ and trimming the depth to fit the trailer.
Once the slats were back on, we just put the cushions on and it was ready to go! I am really glad I spent the time to make this, because I searched for the right size and style for a couple of months and could not find anything that was quite right. Now we have something that is entirely our style, made by us, and kept valuable resources from being used to make a new couch!