This might be the ugliest blog post I’ve ever published , haha!! There has been nothing pretty about this demo, I wore the same dirty work clothes for weeks on end, was covered in paint and mask lines constantly, but here we are! Below are a lot of construction pictures of the complete gutting and remodel of our new little, tiny home on wheels!
I’m writing this post from my new little (and I mean LITTLE) bedroom in our tiny trailer home! We’ve been living in it full time for a few weeks, and we are mostly unpacked and settled in. The whole family seems to be navigating the tiny home better than we all thought we would, and I’m so grateful for that! My husband and I were recently talking about how we expected to be more inconvenienced in our day-to-day. A couple of things are a slight annoyance (I literally have to crawl into my side of the bed because there is about half a foot of walking space around our bed, our kitchen cupboard is a game of Tetris, our water heater allows for a four minute shower max), but nothing has made us regret this decision so far!
So, that’s the basic rundown of how it’s going. I thought I would share a lot of the demo process. This was an incredibly cathartic and fulfilling project for me. I have always been interested in house design since I was a child, and while we have remodeled and sold a few houses since our early 20s, none have been designed and decorated from scratch just the way I wanted them to be. We found out I was pregnant with my first son eight years ago, RIGHT after buying a house through an on-line auction that needed to be FULLY gutted. If you ever followed my old blog way back then, you may remember a very very pregnant me doing dishes in the tub, having no sub-floors, no walls, etc. Anyway, it was never in our budget as a family of four living in an increasingly expensive city to furnish and design our entire house just the way we envisioned. To have this very tiny house gutted and ready to take on my vision was such a beautiful opportunity I’m extremely grateful for. We repurposed so much of what we already owned, shopped craigslist and the trunks of people’s cars for what we did need, I MADE our couch (!!) thanks to a 50% off fabric sale and left over bed frame…it was all done with a lot of hard work and about a month or two worth of our previous high rent!
Right after my husband lost his job unexpectedly, he was thankfully able to secure a new job and negotiated to start a little later than they wanted. He took our sons to his parents’ house for four days so I could gut the trailer and do all the demo. I’m so grateful to have him recognize how much I love to do this kind of work and have him literally hand over the keys and peace out with the boys. He installed the floors and the drawers I built for under our bed, re-built a wall we demo’d down, and did a few random electrical stuff, but I did the rest of the work mostly on my own! I have some touch-up work to do still, and some final decorating details and then I’ll share the final look, but we are already so excited about it all!
The majority of this process was gutting the trailer of all the built in furniture, ripping out the carpet (and the MILLION STAPLES holding it all down), and removing wallpaper borders, valences, etc. I am preparing a post with my painting process, because it was a huge process-the walls are a shiny, textured vinyl and took a lot of work to get painted nicely!
The biggest set back on this demo was when I ripped out the dinette and found mold. After I ripped out the carpet and opened up the wall, I found SO much water damage. I had to scrape out the insulation that was completely adhered to the wall panels with mold. It was such a bummer to find, and I really believe the people we purchased the trailer from had no clue, because they were so kind and honest, and even I wouldn’t have found it if I hadn’t taken the bench apart. This set me back for a couple of weeks because we had to let the wall dry out, replace a lot of what was rotted out, paint with Killz to stop any further mold, cut out a new wall panel…it was a huge ordeal. I’m not glad it happened, but definitely glad we found it, addressed the problem from the outside, and got it all new and healthy!
The master bedroom had carpet running up the bedside stands and under the mattress, yuck!! It was full of sand and dirt, and I could not stand to think of sleeping next to that!
If you are interested in seeing more, including some time lapse videos of me gutting out a LOT of furniture and carpet, you can find it all in the highlighted stories on my instagram profile here! I’m so excited to finish up the last items on my to-do list and take final photos!